For once I feel pretty good about the recently announced the Indian Test team.
- Piyush Chawla was a daring yet sensible selection although a little unfair to Murali Karthik.
- Gautam Gambhir could have been given more opportunities before being dumped. But it is true that he hasn’t made any big scores of late and Wasim Jaffer has been a prolific scorer in the domestic circuit.
- Sreesanth was a certainty after his performance in Pak and all the praise from the likes of Waqar and Imran.
- Agarkar and Zaheer Khan were anyway on their way out and didn’t justify further chances. So VRV is also a welcome addition. With the desi Shoaib Akthar waiting in the wings all these bowlers must be under pressure to perform.
- Suresh Raina was bit of surprise given that there are many prolific scorers in the domestic circuit. But I guess he recent show in Pak plus with an eye on the future the selectors decided to give him a shot. I suspect he’ll be replaced by Yuvraj provided Kaif plays in the 11 and scores some runs.
- As for Ganguly, I am glad the selectors finally made the call to dump him. Its time to move on and hopefully there won’t be any further controversies around this issue (what are the odds of that happening! 🙂
With the team falling apart with injuries and other fitness problems, this Test series should be a tough one for England or so it seems at this stage.